Where it all Began
Flanagan’s Townhouse resides on 31 Thomas Street in the heart of Limerick City. Thomas Street is an area steeped in history. The street was developed by Edmund Sexton Pery as part of his plan for the development of a new town on lands he owned in the south liberties of the city. The street was most likely named after Thomas Knox who married Edmund Sexton Pery’s daughter Diana in 1785. Considered an affluent street with a noted eight families classed as nobility or gentry living there, and other residents recorded as solicitors, surgeons, milliners and merchants, a notable resident at this time was Andrew Watson who was a son-in-law of the noted historian and founder of the Limerick Chronicle John Ferrar. Watson himself went on to become the editor of the Limerick Chronicle. The newspaper archives shows what life on the affluent Thomas Street was like. In one article it was recorded that in 1830, the story of Thomas Carey, a young doctor, was due to be married but took ill and died on his wedding day, his last words being “Oh death where is thy sting, Oh grave where is thy victory”. In another edition it was written that the will of John Unthank in the 1849 left his wife a house on Thomas Street and £100 a year, on the stipulation that she remained unmarried. Thomas Street housed the Queen’s theatre, which opened in 1840 by a Mr Collins and the first acts were The Scottish Outlaw and the Widows Victim. Collins noted that ‘the interior decorations of the theatre will be of the first order. The new and gorgeous wardrobe consists of costumes and dresses of all nations, with appropriate banners, properties, paraphernalia’. In August 1895 the Limerick Chronical published this police court report: Henry Talbot, a strolling musician, who was making night doubly hideous in Thomas Street last evening by his inebriate endeavours to play a cornet in his possession, was charged with drunkenness. When the constable intervened to stop the music, Talbot felt the matter so much that he raised the cornet to strike the policeman with it, but was not allowed. The constable, however, generously did not press this branch of the case against Talbot, who was fined 5s, or in default seven days imprisonment. Fox’s bow was named after Fox’s hotel in number 30 and 31 Thomas Street (where Flannigans Townhouse now resides) which extended over the bow. 1897 saw it as Tucker’s Hotel and by 1901 it was owned by owned by Thomas Fox who erected a stone sign above the door that can still be seen today. Thomas Fox had passed away in 1911. His wife Maria Griffin had remarried Edmond Prendergast who was running the hotel. Staying in the hotel at the time of the 1911 census was George Clancy, who would later become known as one of the Murdered Mayors. Thomas Street also bore witness to some of the most important political events in Irish history. 5 June 1914, saw the founding of the Limerick branch of Cumann na mBan in number 18, just a few doors down from where Flannigans Townhouse is today. Number 18 had been the Gaelic League (Conradh na Gaeilge) rooms. Cumann na mBan became an auxiliary of the Irish Volunteers in 1916 and the Limerick branch had over 100 members. Madge Daly of the famous Daly family played a huge role in the organisation as president of the Limerick branch. Her brother Edmund (Ned) and brother in law Thomas Clarke were executed for actions in 1916 rising while her sister Kathleen Clarke became the first female Lord Mayor of Dublin. These are just a few stories from Thomas Street. An area steeped in history that Flannigans Townhouse are proud to part of. Flanagans Townhouse Thomas Street, Limerick is a newly renovated Georgian townhouse. Now housing the sister restaurant of Flanagans on the lake, Ballina/Killaloe, Co. Tipperary. We have lovingly restored this building to make it a fabulous dining experience. We offer a delicious menu to suit all palettes and have a full bar to compliment our restaurant. Our aim is simple, to provide locally sourced wholesome Irish food, cooked fresh for you. We are all about customer satisfaction.
7 Days a week 10:00am – until late
Lunch and Dinner